bhldn, birthday, blue, candles, confetti systems, diamond paper hanging decoration, dollar store, glorious treats, hot house foliage backdrop, kelowna, lemon-themed party, lowe's creative ideas, ombre, oriental trading, pink, pink ombre swirl cake, pom-pom number birthday decoration, quartzite cake stand, rifle paper company, spiralled shoppe straws, tassel garlands, white, white tissue balls
Sigh. I was trying to plan a lemon-themed dessert party for my sister’s birthday this September, but, alas, she was wants to go for Japanese food. The place sounds good and I’m looking forward to it, but I’m still thinking about PARTIES!
When I went to Kelowna last weekend we stopped by the dollar store in West Bank (Kelowna, I swear, is the dollar store capital of the province) and I bought some really pretty pink, blue and white candles – which inspired me to design a party along the same lines. I swear, I pulled those candles out of the bag 10 times in the next half an hour – they were so pretty and dainty and inexpensive, I was revelling in my purchase. For the rest of the trip my mind was swirling with all the party possibilities, so I’ve put my inspiration into reality (well, blogging reality) below:
1. BHLDN - Quartzite Cake Stand: These look like they’re from Bountiful in Venice, California. So beautiful – I love milk glass.
2. BHLDN – Spiralled Shoppe Straws: Gotta have some pretty straws for our drinks!
3. Confetti Systems – Tassel Garlands Blue/Mint: Frankly, if you haven’t seen Confetti Systems’ tassel garlands then you’ve been living under a rock – they’ve been EVERYWHERE over the past two years. Beautiful and celebratory, I think I spent an entire week during wedding planning trying to figure out where to get the shiny paper. Makes the $130 price tag not seem so outrageous.
4. Lowe’s Creative Ideas – Pom-Pom Number Birthday Decoration: Love the ombre effect, and it’s easier than it looks – attach as many coffee filters as looks good to a foam board. Using spray paint, take the entire number outside and spray it all down with one coat; afterwards, spray only about half, then less than that to get more paint on the bottom and more on the top. Genius. Makes those people who dye and drip-dry their coffee filters for projects look like time wasters!
5. Glorious Treats – Pink Ombre Swirl Cake: Loving the ombre effect on this, and it’s on the inside of the cake as well. Would look pretty on the BHLDN cake stand.
6. BHLDN – Hot House Foliage Backdrop: Urgh! Rifle Paper Company, why, WHY did you have to come out with this AFTER MY WEDDING?! And it’s affordable too, at only $118.00. Phooey. I’d put this behind the dessert table. But phooey!
7. Confetti Systems – Confetti-Multi: I love confetti, and, if you’re so inclined, I recommend making it yourself. It’s a perfect way to ensure the theme colours of the day are spread everywhere, even if you don’t have time to make something larger. I made confetti for our wedding and I think it was well worth it – not only did it use up all the scraps from my other projects, but it added colour to otherwise boring white tablecloths. These pretty colours from Confetti Systems would be great to spread on the dessert table or even thrown at the birthday boy or girl if it was a surprise party.
8. Confetti Systems – Diamond Hanging Paper Decoration: Ah, this takes me back to the eighties – reminds me of She-Ra, Trolls and My Little Ponies. I’d hang these from the ceiling all around the room.
9. Oriental Trading – White Tissue Balls: I’d also hang these white tissue balls interspersed with the hanging diamonds. So pretty!
I love the blue, pink and white theme. What do you think?